Friday, November 26, 2010

Bruschetta

Posted by Rebecca

I have never really been a fan of Bruschetta until recently, perhaps I’d never experienced a well made Bruschetta.  I definitely wouldn’t have considered making it; it just looked too complex and time consuming. However I did recently give it a go, using a recipe my mother makes and adding my own splash of something (you’ll see).
Serves 4

What do I need?
·         Three tomatoes
·         2 cloves of garlic
·         1 sourdough loaf
·         A handful of fresh basil
·         2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
·         Salt and pepper to taste

How is it done?
·         You can pre-prepare the tomato mixture beforehand and leave in the refrigerator
·         Dice the tomatoes
·         Chop the basil and mix into tomatoes
·         Add the balsamic vinegar and mix thoroughly
·         Add salt and pepper to taste, I usually sprinkle crushed rock salt and skip the pepper
·         Slice the sour dough thickly
·         Grill in the oven until golden brown on one side only
·         Rub the garlic over the warm bread
·         Spoon the tomato mix onto the bread pieces
·         Serve immediately










Tips and tricks:
·         Try using olive or tomato pesto spread thinly on the bread before adding the tomato mix for a richer flavour
·         Substitute the balsamic vinegar with equal amounts of sweet chilli sauce for a little bit of zing
·         Instead of using sourdough, try it with grilled pita bread or on a pizza base

No comments:

Post a Comment