This was one of the many wonderful dishes we had at Christmas. So I stole the recipe from my SIL and adjusted it a bit (with mixed results!). Its a great dish to have with a BBQ.
What do I need?
- 1 kg sweet potato or yellow kumara
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 6 spring onions
- 1 orange, squeezed
- 2 rashers of bacon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the sweet potato. This is where I had problems! I boiled it, then I fried it, then I microwaved it! I should have just microwaved it as per the potato setting to start with.
- Fry the bacon until crispy
- Cut the sweet potato into large chunks
- Squeeze the orange and keep the juice only
- Mix in the red onion, spring onion diced bacon and orange juice
- Add only enough mayonnaise to bind the ingredients. I added two large spoonfuls and this was too much
- Enjoy! Even with my errors, it was still yummy!
Tips and Tricks: Make sure you know how to cook Kumara first; don't overuse the mayonnaise, just enough to bind the ingredients, I used two scoops and one would have been enough; try it with raisins or cranberries; add orange segments instead of orange juice.