Friday, January 14, 2011

Kumara (Sweet Potato) Salad

Post by Rebecca

This was one of the many wonderful dishes we had at Christmas. So I stole the recipe from my SIL and adjusted it a bit (with mixed results!). Its a great dish to have with a BBQ.



What do I need?

  • 1 kg sweet potato or yellow kumara
  • 1 red onion finely chopped
  • 6 spring onions
  • 1 orange, squeezed
  • Mayonnaise
  • 2 rashers of bacon
  • Salt and pepper to taste
How is it done?
  • Cook the sweet potato. This is where I had problems! I boiled it, then I fried it, then I microwaved it! I should have just microwaved it as per the potato setting to start with.
  • Fry the bacon until crispy
  • Cut the sweet potato into large chunks
  • Squeeze the orange and keep the juice only
  • Mix in the red onion, spring onion diced bacon and orange juice
  • Add only enough mayonnaise to bind the ingredients. I added two large spoonfuls and this was too much
  • Enjoy! Even with my errors, it was still yummy!

Tips and Tricks: Make sure you know how to cook Kumara first; don't overuse the mayonnaise, just enough to bind the ingredients, I used two scoops and one would have been enough; try it with raisins or cranberries; add orange segments instead of orange juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment