Thursday, January 27, 2011

Ika Mata - Marinated Raw Fish

Posted by Rebecca

This is my favourite dish of the Cook Islands. Every time we go for a trip, it's the first thing I want to eat. It's an old family recipe of DHs and the first time we tried making it ourselves.

What do I need?
  • 500 grams ling fish
  • 1 can coconut cream or milk (optional, see Tips and Tricks below)
  • 1 carrot, diced
  • 1 red capsicum, diced
  • 1 white onion, diced
  • 6 lemons
  • Salt


How do I do it?
  • Soak the whole ling fillets in salt water for 30-60 minutes
  • Squeeze the lemons and collect the juice
  • Cut the ling fillets into large chunks and marinate in the lemon juice for 30 minutes
  • Drain juice from fish
  • Add diced onion, capsicum and carrots
  • Salt to taste
  • Add the can of coconut milk or coconut cream if desired. I prefer it with coconut milk, we used cream this time and it was too thick for me



Tips&Tricks: Don't like coconut cream/milk? That's ok, leave it out; Substitute the Ling fillets with Snapper or Tuna; for a bit of zing add 1 diced red chilli's; try diced cucumber or celery in the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment